Saturday, December 10, 2011

Recently watched:

As a self-proclaimed movie-buff I can honestly admit that I spend most of my days curled up in bed with Netflix Watch Instantly and/or illegally (shh!) downloading films on Vuze. So I thought I'd give you all a little taste of the movies that have most recently been subjected to my severe scrutiny.

Girl, Interrupted:


I've heard and heard and heard about this movie, but never actually got the chance to see it. I must say, that I am a die-hard for anything with Angelina Jolie, so this has been a must-see for awhile, despite it's release date of 1999. It definitely didn't let me down. I was expecting something dark, gritty, and emotional and that's exactly what I got. The tone was harsh, the acting was impeccable, cast was diverse and unique. I'd put in on my list of classics, for sure.

Bridesmaids:


Okay, so I actually watched this awhile ago, but it was too popular not to include. If your looking for a raunchy, girly, late-night, comedy, this is your movie. Some people I've talked to have thought it was completely ridiculous, dirty, and not at all funny. I think they need to get their heads checked out. Although I've been known to appreciate some pretty out-there films, I'd have to say finding this movie stomach-clenching hilarious is a perfectly natural response. I didn't stop laughing the entire time, and I don't think that makes me immature. I think that makes me human. I don't care what you say, that shit was good.
It also made me fall in love with Kristen Wiig, who I hadn't previously heard of. (outrageous, I know). She gave an fresh, funny, new, portrayal, and I found it completely refreshing. I don't why it has taken her so long to become a leading-lady. It suits her perfectly. 

Horrible Bosses:


This is another one that some thought was really stupid, that I found drop-dead, pee your pants, funny. It a new concept, a hilarious script, and had A-List actors sprinkled nicely throughout the entire thing. (And holy shit, can I just say how much I dig Jennifer Aniston in this kind of role? Love her!) It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Just when you thought you knew where things were going, BAM, there came another twist. You never knew what to expect, and god is that refreshing. Especially when were in an age where every other Hollywood film is painfully predictable. This right here? This is why writers like Michael Markowitz, John Frances Daley (!!!), and Jonathan Goldstein are still in business.

Lars and the Real Girl:


This movie was actually recommended to me by my counselor (go figure), and I was a bit skeptical to say the least. I am, however, forever infatuated with Ryan Gosling, so I was willing to give it a chance. And I was pleasantly surprised. It was such a unique and captivating story, and my future hubby Mr. Gosling gave a painfully realistic portrayal of a slighty-unstable, but completely lovable, man. By the end, you are completely filled to the brim with awe about how one town can be so generous and compassionate. I'm still wary that such a place could exist in the real world, but my hope was slightly restored after watching this feel-good film.

The Help:


So I actually watched this in theaters when it first came out, but now that I'm reading the book for the second time, I felt it was necessary to tell you how much I loved it. (And if you haven't yet read the book: do. it. now. It will change your life). This is such an inspiring and uplifting story and from the second I opened the book the first time, I couldn't put it down. As soon as I heard there as a movie version coming out I was slightly worried that they would they slaughter what I thought was one of the best stories I've ever read. But, I must admit, the did it justice. Actually, they did it better. It was interpreted in the most perfect way ever, and I think Emma Stone was the absolute best choice, for the main character Skeeter. She has the ability to portray such diverse roles, it completely astounds me. And the rest of the cast was just as amazing. I was thrilled that the film left me with the same happy tears, warm feeling in my heart, and all-around hope and faith in humanity, that the book did. Definitely a must-see.


Friends With Benefits:





Although ridiculously similar to No Strings Attached (which I'll admit I liked a little better. I mean Ashton Kutcher and Natalie Portman? C'mon), it was still a really good movie. Disgustingly predictably, hilariously raunchy, and filled with beautiful people. The best recipe for a great RomCom, which this definitely is. Not suitable for children, absolutely, but worth the watch if your looking for a few laughs and some romance.


The Holiday:


I've probably seen this movie a thousand times, and I completely fell in love with it the first time I watched it. It is now my go-to holiday movie (no pun intended), and surprisingly it's the only movie that leaves me fully submerged in the spirit of the Christmas season. I try my hardest not to give in and watch it throughout the year, so it stays extra-special every winter. I'm currently sitting on my couch watching it on Lifetime this very moment, and I can honestly say I will never get sick of it. It's cheesy, for sure. No doubt a romantic comedy, and completely unrealistic. But that's the beauty. It's that one movie you can always go to, to put you in a good mood and hopefully bring out your holiday spirit. Love it, love it, love it. GO WATCH IT. Now. You know you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment