Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Here's to new beginnings...

My sister Krystal, her husband Rick, Wyatt (6), Jordan (10), Chandler (6), Harley (4).


Me and Harley, the goofball.

This past weekend I spent a couple days with my sister, her husband, and my nephews and niece. Besides the previous month for a birthday party, I hadn't seen them in 3-ish years. And I only spoke to my sister occasionally, and on Facebook at that.

There's been a lot of complicated family dynamics over the years and for the first time I'm learning how to have relationships with people on my own terms, and to not be influenced by others and their opinions. I'm allowed to make my own decisions about the people I choose to surround myself with and about how much I see or speak to them. It's such a freeing feeling to be in control of my own life again.

It's so unfortunate that the problems between all the adults in the family have had to affect the kids. It killed me that I couldn't see them or be a part of their lives, and even more so when the younger ones couldn't remember me at first. But I've finally become "Auntie Kassie" again, and I don't plan on ever giving up that title again. I love these kids so much, and the truth is that these people are my family. And I've learned that, at least with certain people, you don't have to let the past affect the future. But I think the most important fact that I've come to realize is that the relationships between others don't have to affect the relationship you have with that person.

I'm looking forward to a summer filled with 3-day long visits, barbecues with this family and their friends that have also opened their arms to me, playing in the pool with the kids, and getting comfortable with everyone again. Even though I'll be moving to Boston this coming fall, and I'll be away from them again, I've promised myself that I won't distance myself from them. There are still ways to stay close to the ones you love even when your far away, and let me tell you, these little ones are definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment